Hello, and congratulations on launching your own Web business as an Internet entrepreneur! To get you off to a quick start, we’ve included a plethora of tips and tricks for making your online business the success it deserves to be.
1) Initially, select a domain name that relates to your business in some way. Try www.SquarePillows.com or www.PillowSleep.com, for example, if you are searching for a domain name for your pillow business. Utilizing a “real” domain name is vital. If you use a free domain name such as www.tripod.com/squarepillows or www.angelfire.com/pillowsleep, your website visitors will not take your business seriously. Many of the best domain names are already taken, but if you search diligently, you will find one that is still available. If you believe you will need more than one domain name, you should register it immediately, as thousands of names are registered every day. Conduct a search on Google using the search terms “cheap domain names.” You will find domain registrars with very reasonable prices. The cheapest one I’ve found thus far is available at www.GoDaddy.com. They are a full-service organization that provides web hosting and incredibly inexpensive domain registration.
2) Your domain name will need a hosting service. The hosting service makes your domain name and its entire content accessible via the internet. This is simple to manage. You essentially have two options here. You can pay for hosting or receive it for free. If money is not a significant concern, you may wish to choose the paid version. Simply perform a Google search with the search terms “web hosting” and choose from the thousands of results. You will find that the price charged varies significantly based on the required services. Now, if you wish to investigate the free version…. There are numerous free hosting services available on the Internet. The issue with these free hosting services is that they all require the placement of a pop-up banner, static header or footer banner, or both, on each and every website. These banners may contain various forms of advertising, some of which may be unwelcome to your website’s visitors. Free hosting is certainly not the best option to pursue. To save you time, I would recommend www.GoDaddy.com for the most affordable website hosting.
3) Once you have secured your domain name and hosting service, you will likely need a method for uploading your website’s content. Occasionally, your web hosting service provider will provide a site manager with this capability. If not, you may wish to download FTP software, such as WS FTP, from www.ipswitch.com. You may wish to add WINZIP – located at www.WinZip.com – to your download list while downloading software. WINZIP enables you to “unzip” files such as “PillowSleep” A file is initially “zipped” to facilitate downloading by compressing it. To use this downloadable zip file, you must first “unzip” it.
4) Your “PillowSleep” website likely requires some additional customization. Examine other online pillow websites for comparison, and determine what could be improved visually on your site. Do you require flashy graphics? There are numerous free graphics available on the internet; simply conduct a Google search. Once you are satisfied with the appearance of your website, it is time to move on to the fun part: HTML coding. If you are unfamiliar with HTML coding, do not modify the HTML code on the “PillowSleep” pages in any way. If you are familiar with HTML, you could add Title, Meta Keywords, Meta Descriptions, etc., which would make it easier for search engines to locate your website. The use of “keyword phrases” is significantly more effective than the use of “keywords” because it increases the search specificity of your website. Add an additional “Pillow” links page. Another piece of advice is to always keep a hard copy of your web pages on a floppy, CD, or DVD. There are few things worse than customizing a website and then losing the content permanently if something goes wrong with your computer or hard drive.
5) At this point, you have likely already uploaded and published your website. Now you must “drive” traffic to your website. Utilizing a free link exchange or free link trading service is a common method for attracting visitors to a site. Sign up for the free link exchange service and add a line of code to your “Pillow” website (this allows other Pillow web site banners to be viewed on your site and vice versa). The free link exchange service is also very simple. You merely add the link of another pillow to your links page and vice versa. This link exchange significantly increases your site’s popularity with search engines. Getting listed with the major search engines is one of the most important things you can do to boost traffic. Add your website to each search engine using a free service such as www.AddMe.com. There are also so-called “pay-per-click” search engines, in which you actually pay for website traffic. Other search engines require payment to be listed on their websites. One of these “pay” search engines is “Yahoo.”
6) Please be advised that it is illegal to send unsolicited email or “Spam” on the internet. Sending unsolicited e-mails or placing Internet advertising content or Internet content in inappropriate locations is spamming. In addition, you can market and promote your website by submitting it to casino and gambling message boards and free-for-all links pages. Before posting, please verify that it is acceptable to do so, which category it belongs in, and any other relevant information. If you “Spam,” you risk losing your Internet service provider as well as your web host and all of your website content. It is simply not worth the effort.
7) Add your website’s address to your business cards and/or create flyers and posters to promote your website. Remember to obtain permission before posting anything online. If you have additional websites, include a banner or link to your “Pillow” website. Create a t-shirt with your “Pillow” logo and website address printed on both sides to wear yourself. Add your “Pillow” graphic logo and website address to various promotional items, such as baseball caps and coffee mugs, if you so desire. Purchase a bus stop advertisement, a small classified ad in the local newspaper, a radio ad, etc. Put two of these adhesive, bendable, removable, flat, “magnet ads” on the sides of your vehicle’s doors by having them printed at your local printing shop. When you drive around the city, everyone will see your web site advertisement, and when you arrive at your destination, you can remove the sign until you leave again. Consider placing one of your “Pillow” flyers or small posters on the inside of the rear side windows of your vehicle. Just make sure it doesn’t obscure your vision. The objective here is to use your imagination.